Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Genuine

Since school is back in full-swing I've been experiencing life as a true stay-at-home mom. It's exciting to me to build our days around meaningful activities. I once told Pongo that a good day is getting as much accomplished as possible. Now that I'm a mom a good day is quality time with my children where they are able to play, learn, and laugh. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to teach them, molding them into people who reflect Christ's love. My boys are not yet Christians but it's my prayer that our lives will so reflect Christ's love that they would desperately want to love and follow Him too.

In my desire to train my boys I am very protective of the time I spend with them. In my brief experience of staying home after Lucky was born I saw some stay-at-home moms that seemed to have lost the passion and vision in their ministry to their children, opting for busy schedules centered around themselves. I don't want that. I know that there is balance to every relationship: errands need to be done, homes need to be maintained, I need time to take care of myself, my husband and I need time together too. These are all part of the balancing act, so you can see why it's hard for me to commit to something unless I feel certain that God wants me a part of it.

For a long time I have desired a time of study with other women, women who have traveled the road I'm on. I want to learn from them and what God has taught them. I prayed for an opportunity to meet that kind of women and today that prayer was answered. I attended a weekly bible study that was filled with genuine hearts, people earnestly seeking God. These women looked like anyone you'd run into at the grocery store, but they had such light in their eyes. One woman going through a tremendously difficult struggle was so encouraged by another that we all cried as she spoke her words of comfort and encouragement. It's not everyday you have the opportunity to see such a visible glimpse of God. I was blown away, in awe of what God has taught these women and so thankful for the opportunity to get closer to Him through them.

A pastor told me once that in order to be a blessing to others we first must be filled or we won't be able to have anything to share. The Lord has blessed me with this bible study and my family will be better because of the need that it meets in my life. I'm so grateful for this answered prayer and would like to encourage you to continuely seek the Lord for your needs.

2 comments:

Elijah said...

I am a little confused Bethany. In your First post you state "Pongo and I have been married for 4 years. I'm newly a stay-at-home-mom, a title that I find repulsive, I much prefer children's activity coordinator". In you latest post you say," Since school is back in full-swing I've been experiencing life as a true stay-at-home mom". Which one is it? Are you a stay-at-home-mom or a Children's Activity Coordinator?

I am very confused right now. Please let me know who you are?

Signed your Brother, Wait no i mean your children's uncle, Wait i mean your mother's son,


Elijah :)

Lu Anne said...

I love that group of women also!!!!! By the way I finally got my first post done!!! Swing over and take a look